How should I prepare my car for evacuation?
- If you do not drive, make evacuation plans in advance.
- Keep vehicle fuel tanks at least half full during fire season. Nearby gas stations may be inaccessible during a wildfire.
- Pull vehicles out of garages and leave keys in the ignition. If you choose to leave a vehicle in the garage while preparing to evacuate, disconnect the electric door opener so that the door can be opened manually. Remember to close the garage door when you leave.
- Keep vehicle windows and doors closed to prevent smoke penetration.
- If possible, disconnect the electric garage door opener so that you can open the door manually.
- Close the garage door and leave it unlocked.