How should I leave the inside of my home?
- Leave on interior lights in rooms with windows to help firefighters find your home in the smoke.
- Close all interior doors to help protect the center of your home.
- Move all curtains, furniture, and other combustible materials away from windows and to the center of the room.
- Close fire-resistant drapes, shutters, and blinds.
- Turn off all pilot lights
- Try to keep refrigerator doors closed and do not place hot or un-refrigerated foods inside if your power is out.
- If necessary, group packages of frozen foods together to help them stay cold. However, meats and poultry should be separate in order to prevent contamination if they become thawed.