· Leave on exterior lights.
· Close all exterior vents, windows and doors.
· Place all combustible patio furniture and other outdoor decorations inside your home or garage.
· Do Not shut off natural gas or propane at the meter unless you specifically smell or hear a gas leak.
· If there is time, cover windows, vents and attic openings with at least 1/2 inch thick plywood.
· Prop a ladder against the house so firefighters can have easy access to the roof.
· Wet down shake and shingle roofs
· Fill trash cans and buckets with water and place them where firefighters can easily find them.
· Connect garden hoses to faucets.
· If you have an emergency water source such as a pool, pond or portable pump, mark its availability in a place that can be seen from the street.